For the past four years, I’ve picked a word of the year to help me focus my ground around for the year. In the past, my words have been: hope, light, press forward, and flourish. I generally spend the last month of the year reflecting on what the word will and then set the intention of incorporating ways to incorporate that word into my daily life. I think I have settled on a word of the year for 2018, but in the mean time I’d like to share how I incorporate my word of the year in my life and give 50 ideas for your word of the year.
HOW TO PICK A WORD OF THE YEAR
For me, I’ve noticed that I have thought of the word already quite a bit or I find a theme in my life that I need to work on. I’ve felt like setting these intentions have been super helpful into what I have ended up experiencing that year. As I’ve sat back and reflected, I’ve felt that picking a word for the year was an act of faith itself. I’ve ended up picking my word for very personal reasons every year.
Here are some ways I end up finding my word for each year:
- Think of words that you would like to describe yourself or how you move throughout the year
- Look through scriptures, quotes, or books and see if any word stands out to you
- Think of the goals that you would like to see yourself being better as accomplishing
- Poke around the website find your tribe and see other words people have picked
- Look at my one word and see why different people picked the word they did
HOW TO REMEMBER YOUR WORD EVERYDAY
I don’t think it really matters how you incorporate your word of the year into your life, but if you set the intention to become better at something, you need to come up with something that really helps you think of it.
In the past, I have done everything from order a piece of jewelry with the word that I wear daily to ordering an art print that I see every time I come into my house. I’ve found that wearing the jewelry helps me remember my word easily everyday. Additionally, I used to include my word of the year loosely with my goals for the month, but I’ve decided next year that I will be putting them into a monthly Youtube format like Blair Lamb because her rooted series has been something I have related to SO MUCH (and yes, I asked her if I could borrow her format and it was totally fine). I’m excited to start sharing monthly youtube videos starting in the new year around my word of the year for 2018; I know it will help me be more vulnerable and accountable on my growth!
Here are some ideas on how to incorporate your world daily:
- Custom jewelry with the word (mine are always under $30 which is worth it since I wear it the whole year). For the past two years, I’ve ordered mine from TheLiterateLion etsy shop.
- A custom made key chain with your word
- Put a sticky note on your mirror
- Write your word in permanent markers on items you use frequently (water bottle, a book, etc.
- Get a print including the word to see when you enter your home
50+ IDEAS FOR YOUR WORD OF THE YEAR
Now that you’ve picked your word of the year and thought of ways to incorporate into your daily life, here are 50 ideas for your word of the year!