This post contains affiliate links which help support The Spirited Violet.
I’m always on the hunt for simple recipes that are fast to put together without compromising taste. We eat a lot of wanna be Mexican food concoctions to tie us over until we visit family in Arizona (thankfully, we did finally find a real authentic Mexican place here though). Beyond simple though, freezer meals are kind of my thing right now because it saves me time later. This recipe slow cooker salsa verde chicken freezes up to 6 months and tastes great as a the filler in chicken tacos, as taco salads, or as I used it as the meat in a rice bowl.
ITEMS USED TO MAKE RECIPE
This recipe uses kitchen basics. Beyond that, I recommend the item below:
- Crock Pot insulated traveling case
Has a crock pot of food ever spilled in your car? Yeah, that has totally happened to me and it was an awful mess. Having a travel case helps prevent the potential for this type of mess. I also smartened up and bought this crock pot that has clamps on the side as well so it isn’t a worry again.
- freezer bag
- 4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz can Whole kernel corn, drained
- 27 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can of Rotel with green chili
- 16 oz jar salsa verde
- 1 taco seasoning pack
- Salt, pepper, and other seasonings as needed
- Other ingredients needed to make the meal (I made a rice bowl for photos in this post)
- Label the bag with a date (this meal freezes well up to 6 months)
- Dump everything in the bag and seal
- Place bag in freezer
- When you are ready to cook, place your freezer meal in the fridge the night before to thaw. I like to place the bag seam up in a large mixing bowl in case the bag leaks or sweats
- The following day, dump the bag into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through
- Shred chicken
- Serve this tasty and healthy dish in a bowl, garnished with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Also delicious on salads, tacos, tortillas, inside enchiladas with sour cream drizzled on top. There are endless possibilities. This is a freezer staple, ready to go and sure to please even the pickiest eaters!!
- For the photos, I cooked plain brown rice and used the meat as a topping with shredded cheese.
I used this recipe as a the topping for a rice bowl served with cheese. Devin is looking forward to taking rice bowls with this recipe to work this week and doesn’t even know it yet 😉 .